We then added calcium carbonate to remove tannin from the tea, afterwards we then filter it by using the Buchner filtration method.
Japanese green tea with calcium carbonate added.
Next, we added magnesium sulphate powder to remove water from the organic layer, then we distil off the dichloromethane on a rotary evaporator.
I learnt that the solubility of the compounds is important in this experiment. For instance, caffeine is more soluble in dichloromethane than water in room temperature, therefore we used dichloromethane to extract caffeine from tea. Today's activities were very interesting. It was the first time working in such a huge laboratory and the process was very fun, even though it was rather confusing at times.